Dear Brothers and Sisters,
The Executive Board of Local No. 24 is pleased to announce that we have adopted a Legal Benefits Program for all Local No. 24 members and their immediate families at no cost. The plan will be administered through the law firm of Blakemore, Meeker & Bowler Co., LPA (“BMB Law”), located at 39 E. Market St., Suite 301, Akron, Ohio 44308. The attorneys at BMB Law can be reached at (330) 253-3337. Please visit them at the web at www.bmblaw.com.
BMB Law has provided quality legal representation in Summit County and other surrounding counties since 1969. Combined, the firm’s attorneys have over 175 years of experience. You can rest assured that BMB Law will diligently represent you for all of your legal needs. President of BMB Law, Robert C. Meeker, is a former Local No. 24 member, and understands how important each of you are to the success of your workplace.
Teamsters Local No. 24 has retained BMB Law to provide the following services to you and your immediate families:
- Free initial phone or face-to-face consultation on any legal subject with no time limit;
- Free legal document review of ten pages or less;
- Free Simple Wills for all Local No. 24 members and their spouses. A “Simple Will” is defined as one in which a Testator provides for the payment of debts and expenses, and with contingent beneficiaries in case of a prior death of the primary beneficiary. Any members or members’ spouses who already have a Simple Will shall be entitled to a free revision of such will or wills.
- If the Local No. 24 member or a member of their immediate family agree that BMB Law will provide legal services which are beyond the above, BMB Law will furnish all legal services to plan participants as follows:
- Up to 10% Off Contingent Fee Services: Includes, but is not limited to, litigation involving personal injury (intentional torts and/or negligence), wrongful death actions, premises liability actions, products liability actions, and lawsuits involving medical or legal malpractice. Your benefit will not include litigation expenses or court costs.
- 25% Off All Other Legal Representation: Includes, but is not limited to, Criminal Law, Traffic Law, Domestic Relations Law, Estate Planning and Probate Matters, Civil Litigation as Plaintiff or Defendant, For-Profit/Non-Profit Business Services, and Supplemental Security Income and Disability.
- Local No. 24 members will also periodically receive articles on different legal topics. These articles are meant to provide the members with a basic understanding of some important legal concepts, while also providing the member with knowledge to better protect his or her rights.
- Additionally, you should be aware of the following details and restrictions:
- Those who desire to participate in this Legal Benefits Program must be a member in good standing of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local No. 24 or an immediate family member.
- An immediate family member means a member’s spouse or significant other ("significant other" as used in this definition means one who stands in place of a spouse and who resides with the employee), parents, children, grandparents, siblings, grandchildren, brother- in-law, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law, step-parents, step-children, step-siblings, or a legal guardian or other person who stands in the place of a parent (in loco parentis).
- In no case will BMB Law provide legal services to a member of the Legal Benefits Program’s immediate family which services are adverse to the member.
- Legal matters against Local No. 24 and/or the International Brotherhood of Teamsters are specifically excluded from this program.
- BMB Law is not obligated to take on legal representation for program participants or their immediate family and may decline representation, if it so chooses. BMB Law will refuse representation on any matters it deems as frivolous, non-meritorious or unethical.
- BMB Law may refer a program member to a partner law firm or attorney f the matter is deemed to be a highly specialized legal matter.
In order to acquaint yourselves with the lawyers of BMB Law, I suggest that you visit their web site at www.bmblaw.com. While there, you can learn the history of the firm, read a biography of each of the firm’s lawyers, observe some of the firm’s practice areas, and read the firms bLAWg, which discusses important legal topics. Additionally, you are invited to visit BMB Law during their normal business hours to introduce yourselves to the firm’s attorneys.
In order to use the Local No. 24 Legal Benefits Program, please follow this outlined procedure:
- Contact BMB Law at (330) 253-3337. Explain that you are a member of Teamsters Local No. 24 and that you wish to consult with an attorney in the firm in accordance with the Legal Benefits Program. BMB Law’s staff will assist you in determining what legal area will need to be addressed. Based on the information given, you will be referred to an appropriate attorney within the firm.
- The next step will be either a phone consultation or an appointment for the initial consultation with an assigned attorney. After you have conducted the initial consultation, you may elect to employ the firm to represent you in accordance with the plan benefits as previously mentioned. BMB Law will specify the legal fees that are your responsibility in writing, at your request.
- BMB Law’s normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Attorneys at the firm can schedule to meet with you beyond those normal hours, including weekends. If you are in need of immediate emergency assistance outside of the firm’s normal hours, please contact Attorney Colin G. Meeker, at (330) 603-7173, on-call specifically for you after hours.
If you have any questions about the manner in which this Legal Benefits Program will operate, you may call the Union Hall or Attorney Robert C. Meeker at BMB Law.
Your Officers and Agents are very proud of the development of this Legal Benefits Program and believe that it carries a great value to all of Local No. 24. The adoption of this plan is another example of the many ways your Union leadership is looking to improve Local No. 24 and protect our members and their families.
Travis W. Bornstein
Teamsters Local No. 24
Page Last Updated: Sep 10, 2019 (13:37:32)